Types Of Car Phone Stands
Do you know that you can get a car stand for your phone? Car phone stands have so many advantages, especially if you drive for long hours. There are several types of car phone stands, and in this guide, you’ll know them, and which one is best for you. endeavor to read through.
Despite the proliferation of infotainment systems in cars, there are many drivers who still want to use their cell phones as the primary source for navigation and in-car entertainment. And there are strong reasons to do so:
- An older car can be effectively “upgraded” with a well-placed smartphone that’s used for navigation and digital music.
- Using a phone can be more convenient than an infotainment system for navigation because it will display the latest maps, along with real-time traffic information and current points of interest. Plus, it’s often easier to search for something on the phone, than get directions (especially when using a digital assistant, such as Siri).
- Travelers may prefer to use their familiar phone, rather than a built-in system in a rental car, especially when navigation can be an added cost.
Types of Phone Stands
While we evaluated six different styles of mounts, three types of holders are the main types on the market: Windshield mounts, suction cup dashboard mounts, and air vent mounts. The other mount styles—cup holder, a 12-volt outlet, and permanently fixed to the dashboard—aren’t nearly as common.
The three main styles use two different methods to secure the phone. The first is by affixing a small metal tab to the back of the phone, which lets the phone be held in place by a magnet on the mount. The second way uses a clamp that secures the phone from the sides, from the top and bottom, or from both.
- Vent Mounted Holders. This type has a special cross-shaped grip that fits snugly onto any vent (deflector) in the car. Vent mounted holders are universal and suitable for all car brands.
- Suction Cup Holders. The holder is mounted with a vacuum suction cup to the windscreen or dashboard. Suction cup holders are used not only in cars but also for ordinary tables at home or in the office.
- Sticky Phone Holders. This type uses a double-sided adhesive tape, most often 3M adhesive. These holders are universal and can be easily attached to any surface where the Scotch tape can be applied.
- CD Slot Holders. Today many cars are equipped with a CD slot. However, almost everyone uses flash drives and SD memory cards now. So holder developers came up with a pretty cool and practical application for an unnecessary CD slot. They made a special mount, which is inserted exactly into this slot. It’s quite convenient – if you place the phone there, it won’t get in the way or distract you from the dashboard. If you still want to listen to your favorite disc, you can easily remove the holder.
- Seat Headrest Holders. A must-have holder for parents who often drive with children in a car or for those who travel a lot. You can easily mount it on the seat headrest and turn your smartphone into a handy mini TV.
- Car Sun Visor Holders. This holder is meant more for passengers than for drivers. It would be both uncomfortable and dangerous for a driver to look at the visor during the ride. Passengers can easily use such a holder, but if they want to lower down the visor, they need to remove the smartphone. Another weakness of such holders is their weight. Some sun visors may not support the total weight of a phone and a holder and will thus constantly lower down, especially when driving on a bad road.
- Steering Wheel Holders. A rather specific holder with its pros and cons. Among advantages: a smartphone is right in front of you, and it is convenient to talk on the phone through the speakerphone when the phone is in this holder (the smartphone is located quite close to the driver, so you can hear the person very well). Among disadvantages: the driver constantly rotates the steering wheel, and the holder rotates with it, so you won’t be able to charge the phone that is constantly moving – you just won’t be able to connect the charging cable! Even if you connect the cable to the phone, you’re bound to tear it out of the socket. The holder also partially closes the dashboard, and you are likely to look over the indicator signaling the car’s emergency condition.
- Cigarette Lighter Car Mount. A rather interesting type of holder. It has both a holder and a socket for the car cigarette lighter. If you use your smartphone as a navigator, this holder won’t do – it will just be uncomfortable. However, using it just to prevent the phone from lying around in the car is a pretty good option. The phone is within easy reach, it doesn’t distract the driver from the road; moreover, such holders often have a USB connector where you can connect a cable to charge the device.
- Cup Holder Phone Mount. The holder consists of a base with an arm that has a clip or magnet. To make the base fit into any cup holder, it is adjusted with spacing clamps. When choosing this holder, please note that your cup holder will always be occupied, and if you have just one cup holder, you will be left without it. However, there are special models that have additional mounts acting as a cup holder.
Benefits of using car phone stands
Using a cell phone while driving is against the law but sometimes situations compel people to break the law and attend the calls. Attending or making calls doesn’t mean that now you are free to do rash driving but it is hard to completely focus on the road while holding your phone in a hand. This is the place where a phone holder comes as a great rescue.
- GPS For Navigation:
The importance of GPS for navigation is not hidden from anyone. One can easily reach his or her destination by following the GPS but it can be too much problem to keep picking up the phone for knowing the routes or directions while driving.
However, a phone holder can make the job much easier. You just need to switch on the GPS, set the coordinates, place the phone in the mount and you are good to go. By doing so, one can easily follow the directions in a hassle-free manner.
- Distractions Free Driving:
Not all but at least 90% of road accidents occur due to distraction and more often than not, the cause behind a distraction is a cell phone. It calls for immense concentration while driving on the road since a small mistake can be a serious threat to life.
No to mention when you are holding your cell phone, you can put the needed concentration on driving which further may result in deadly accidents. However, using a phone holder can significantly solve this problem. Just place your phone on the car mount and feel free to enjoy distraction-free driving. You no longer need to hold the phone in one hand while the other one is busy maneuvering the steering wheel.
- Hands-Free Music:
If you love listening to music while driving, investing in a cell phone holder is one of the best decisions of your life. You just need to mount the phone, pair it up with the Bluetooth of the vehicle and you can instantly play or switch music from the push of a button on the steering wheel.
Things to Consider When Buying Car Phone Stand
When choosing a phone mount for a car, there are a few key considerations to make:
- Your Car’s Interior
It’s important to think about your car’s interior so you can find a phone holder that will fit in your space without blocking your view. Different types of stands will attach to your car in different ways, so not all options will be compatible.
You might not have room for a windshield mount if your windshield rises at a low angle to your dashboard. If your car’s dashboard is uneven or damaged, it may not function as a suitable anchoring point for a suction cup. Finally, you need air vents of certain shapes to make the most of vent stands. Make sure to check the mounting features for your phone holder and check them against the space your car has available.
- Outside Temperature
The outside temperature is another consideration you should make when looking for the best car phone holder. If a windshield-mounted car phone stand isn’t suitable to be used in a certain temperature zone, it will lose suction and likely fall off.
If you live in a particularly hot or cold area, it may be best to opt for a car vent mount or magnetic stands. That way there is no risk at all of the phone car mount losing its suction.
- Your Phone
When it comes to matching a holder to your phone, the most important factors are size and weight. Some mounts are stronger than others, while some types accommodate only certain types of devices. If your phone is particularly large, you might want a magnetic holder, rather than a cradle, to avoid problems with fitting.
- Size Matters
Many car phone stands max out at a certain phone size, so before you buy one, make sure it supports the phone you want to use. If it’s a spring-loaded mount, make sure it’s wide enough to hold your phone. For magnetic stands, check the maximum weight (and factor in the weight of your case).
- How You’ll Use It
If you drive a lot, or if you tend to drive for long periods of time, you’re going to want a car phone holder that can hold up to the more regular strain. It might be worth it to splurge on a more versatile model if you want to get the most out of that level of ownership. It’s important to have the features you need, such as an open charging port or the ability to switch from landscape to portrait viewing.
We hope this article was helpful to you in knowing the types of car phone stands. There are so many out there to choose from. Make sure you choose a suitable one for you.