Best Desktop Computers of 2021
Acquiring a new desktop computer can be a little tasking, especially with different brands in the market. Not all machines are equal you know, particularly if you are not familiar with desktop computers- that could be a headache choosing one. Even if you are familiar with computer components, making a choice from a myriad of choices is one hell of a task.
Some of the advantages of a desktop PC over portable devices include:
- You can choose to build your desktop with components of your choice to suit your preferences
- You can upgrade most of the components of your device like your motherboard and graphics card and CPU
- You don’t bother about batteries.
In this guide, I will be helping you understand the features to look for in a desktop computer, the types of desktop computers, and best desktop computers to put money on.
LET’S GET STARTED!
Features to Look Out For in a Desktop Computer
- Processors- they are also known as central processing units or CPUs. The processors are the “brains” of your device. They’re the chips that carry out the core operations and calculations that drive everything else in your laptop. The speed of your PC is partly dependent on your PC’s processor clock speed, measured in gigahertz (GHz), although cores also play a big role. More cores mean your PC can handle multi-tasking and more demanding applications.
- RAM- Random-access memory (otherwise known as RAM or desktop memory) helps speed up your computing experience by storing system information for in-the-moment and follow-up functions you request. The need for larger-sized desktop memory is needed in order to efficiently run your PC, especially as software like games and applications become more advanced.
- An operating system (OS) is the main way you interact with your PC, providing a simple interface for installing and running programs, moving files around and so on. Windows and Mac OS are the most popular. While Windows 8 is still manageable, Windows 10 is the deal.
- Monitor- this is the screen you use to operate your PC. They can be separate from your tower, or come together in the case of all-in-one PCs.
- Keyboard and Mouse- this is basically based on choice, whether to go for a wireless keyboard and optical mouse (which is better), or to go for wired.
- Video (VGA, HDMI, DVI, etc)
Types of Desktop Computers
- All-in-one- this combines the monitor and tower into one device. They are easier to carry or transport, with fewer wires, have high-quality display, and are smaller.
- Tower- This one features a separate tower unit that houses the main components. With this type, it is easy to choose your own components like graphics cards and hard drives, and ideal if you need a powerful machine that doesn’t need to be portable.
- Mini PC- the mini PC is a small footprint device about the size of a router. It is also known as nettop, and great for streaming device, or media playing PC.
- Custom-build- here you get to pick the components you want to build your own PC according to your preference. It may be relatively cheap to build, but time consuming.
Lastly, computers are needed for different purposes: photo editing, music production, video editing, business, everyday home use, graphics design and gaming.
- If you will be mainly needing your desktop for photo editing then bigger RAM, powerful graphics card and high-end processor should be on top of your list.
- If you will mainly need your desktop for music production, then you should consider plenty of RAM, fast processor and good cooling systems for noise-free learning as a priority.
- If you will be mainly needing your desktop for video editing, then don’t trade off powerful processor, gaming quality graphics card, plenty of RAM, and lots of ports for anything else.
- If you will mainly need your desktop for business, then be sure to go for desktop computers that are all-in-one, and with Ethernet and wireless networking cards.
- If you will mainly need your desktop for everyday home use, then consider plenty of storage to accommodate everyone’s stuff, with midrange processor and RAM.
- If you will mainly need your desktop for graphics design, then latest graphics card, quad-core or higher processor, 16GB RAM or higher, and high-end display for crisp resolution and accuracy should be what you have your eye on
- Lastly, If you will mainly need your desktop for gaming, high-end graphics card, powerful processor, plenty of RAM, 1TB storage, high SSD, and liquid cooling system is top pick for you.
This post is particularly for those who want to purchase a pre-built desktop computer.
Best Buying Guides
Brand: HP Operating System: Win10 CPU: Intel Core i5-9400 all-in-one
10-point touch-enabled 23.8” diagonal screen
For under $1000, you get to use the desktop PC for any visual work due to the user interface. The Intel Core i5 processor delivers power required for basic video editing, plus its 12GB RAM with potential to be increased to 16GB offers you a fast performance. The HD Graphics 630 card gives a decent visual rendering. This PC has several USB ports, HDMI and Ethernet. It also comes with a wireless mouse and keyboard.
|Great memory||Prone to freeze|
|Portable and space conserving|
Brand: Visual Computers Inc. Operating System: Win10 CPU: Intel Core i7
USB 2.0, USB Type C, 1TB HDD SATA, 8GB DDR4 SD RAM
You can take productivity to the next level with this PC. The powerful, yet compact ThinkCentre M720 SFF boasts of powerful processing, storage, and USB technology (2 USB 3.1 Gen 2, 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1, 1 USB-C 3.1 Gen1) for great multitasking. From everyday computing to high-end graphics design, this PC meets your need.
|Great for multi-tasking||3.20 GHz|
|Good one for your money|
Brand: Dell Operating System: Win10 CPU: Intel Core i7-9700 NViDIA GefORCE GTX 1660 4.7 GHz
8GB RAM 6GB GDDR5 512 GB SSD
This desktop will save you time to build your own gaming PC for a fair price. The PC offers a 9th Gen Intel processor with up to 4.7 GHz, enough memory and extended frequency for a great gaming experience.
|Great gaming desktop||Its single 6-pin PCI Express connector will prohibit the power connector requirements of a higher performance GPU|
Brand: Acer Operating System: Win 10 CPU: Intel i5-9400 1TB HDD Bluetooth 5, Ethernet, USB 3.1 Type C, Media card
The Acer Aspire TC-885 is equipped the powerful 9th Gen Intel Core i5 processor for the smooth running of your PC. Also, its 2.9 GHz can be upgraded to 4.1 GHz.
|Great space||2.9 GHz|
|Bluetooth 5.0||Only 9MB Cache|
Brand: HP Operating System: Win10 CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
12 GB RAM, Media Card, 3.7 GHz, RX Vega II graphics
This desktop PC is designed to run efficiently at faster speed. It is great for office work. The PC also has a DVD burner, a multi-display support for both HDMI and VA output, along with 4 2.0 USB ports, and 5 3.0 USB ports.
|Fairly fast||Wired keyboard and mouse|
|Great for multitasking|
|Several USB ports|
Brand: Apple Operating System: MacOS CPU: Intel Core i5 Bluetooth 4.2
The Apple iMac with Retina 4K Display is one of the latest all-in-one desktops in the market. Its 21.5-inch diagonal size and Retina 4K display gives an amazing screen resolution that will take user experience to the next level. It also comes with 2 thunderbolt 3 USB-C ports.
|Amazing screen resolution||20.4 pounds|
|Makes your pocket to frown as usual|
Brand: HP Operating System: Win 10 CPU: Intel Core i5-7400T 8GB RAM 1TB HDD.w/ Amazon Alexa, USB 3.1 and 3.0, HDMI, Media Card
This well-designed PC is both portable and powerful. Packed with 8GB RAM, 7th Gen Intel i5 Processor and dual hard drives (1TB 7200 RAM SATA & 256 GB SSD) for maximum optimization of your desktop; for home and office use.
|Memory upgradable to 32GB||Only 2.4 GHz speed|
|3 in 1 Media Card reader|
|Wireless keyboard and mouse|
|17x faster than traditional desktop PCs|
Brand: HP Operating System: Win10 CPU: Intel Core i7
AMD Graphics with 4GB GDDR5 dedicated and up to 10GB total video RAM
The world’s FASTEST and widest CURVED All-in-One PC. Designed to impress, captivate, and inspire with a 34-inch diagonal curved display. All wrapped in a STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS All-in-One design packing EXTREME TOP OF THE LINE computing power available today.
The stunning and elegant HP ENVY 34 CURVED packs as much ULTRA power as it does gorgeous looks. This EXTREME edition All-in-One PC is packed with Intel’s latest Core i7 processor i7-7700T QUAD with a TURBO BOOST of 3.80GHz – the FASTEST-TO-DATE CPU, it is topped off with 32 GB of RAM for ULTRA performance and comes with the LASTEST FAST and MASSIVE 5 TB SSD (1 TB SSD M.2 Drive + 4TB SSD)!! It will last and last and keep your system SUPER FAST!
A good deal for your buck.
|Robust space||25.4 pounds in weight|
|Great for any use|
Brand: Dell Operating System: Win10 CPU: Intel Core i7 UHD Graphics 630, 2 GHz, Wi-Fi, 16GB RAM, 256GB Hard Drive, Bluetooth
Processor and graphics are great for gamers. Has 6 USB ports with a combination of 2.0, 3.1 and Type C options.
|Fairly fast performance||Only 2 GHz|
|Fair price||Small memory, compared to RAM|
Brand: Acer Operating System: Win10 CPU: Intel Core i5
12GB RAM, 512GB Win 10
The ACER C27 offers a stunning triple treat of performance, connectivity and entertainment.
The Aspire C27 All-in-One PC packs all the essential computing features you need into a slim, space-saving design that’s simple to use, functional and looks great on your desk. This PC features the latest 10th Gen InteI Core i5 processor offering more possibilities than ever before—via performance, connectivity and entertainment. Enjoy a crisp and clear experience on the Full HD display while the impressively thin bezels give you more to look at. (Wireless Keyboard and Mouse included).
|Crisp, true-to-life colors||Lags while gaming|
|Sharper colors on the FHD Display|
I believe that this guide has served its purpose in giving you more information for a good buying decision. If that is the case, I implore that you simply buy one of these listed at no extra cost to you, but of great importance to me. And if you wish to buy at a physical store, I would like for you to be happy with your purchase.