Best Digital Camera of 2021
Comparison Table foe Digital Camera
|Name||Features||Where to Buy|
|Brand: Canon Intl
|Get it on Amazon|
Lens: wide Angle
|Get it on Amazon|
Lens: Tilt shift
|Get it on Amazon|
|Get it on Amazon|
|Get it on Amazon|
|Get it on Amazon|
|Get it on Amazon|
|Get it on Amazon|
|Get it on Amazon|
Lens: Telephoto, Prime
|Get it on Amazon|
Acquiring a digital camera can be a daunting task. I’ve been there. With many brands out in the market, and different tech jargons used to describe them, it can be very challenging to make a buying decision for a digital camera especially if you are just beginning the life-thrilling journey of photography.
That is why this post was made- specially to throw more light on digital cameras: their features and significance; as well as provide a guide for purchasing a digital camera worth buying.
Therefore, you are in the right place if: you are confused about which digital camera to buy, what’s new in the market, you plan on buying one soonest, or you simply want to widen your scope of knowledge.
SO LET’S SET THE BALL ROLLING!
Features to Look Out For when Purchasing a Digital Camera
- Image Sensors and Megapixels- the image sensor is what captures light from the object you are shooting; while megapixel is the amount of pixels (the tiny dots that makes up image) the sensor can capture. There are two main sensor sizes for the digital camera: the smaller called Micro Four Thirds, which is great for being portable but at the expense of some quality; and the larger called APS-C, great at providing better image quality and low- light shooting but at the expense of size. While more megapixels in a camera seem to be hyped (especially by salesmen), it does not always equal clearer photos. If you are thinking of printing your photos, any amount of megapixels would work for a standard sized photo printing. But if you are printing large posters, then by all means invest in a digital camera with more megapixels.
- Lens- this has to do with the range in distance when taking shots. One turn on for digital cameras is their interchangeable lenses. Getting lenses has to do with what you have in mind to photograph. You can get lenses for wide-angle, distance of close shots.
There are basically two types of lenses: Prime lens or foxed lens has a fixed focal length- meaning you will have to come close to your subject or step farther away from it, if you want the image to appear larger or smaller. They are cheaper and provide great image quality, but can be a turn-off when there is not enough room to move around, or when your subject is far.
The other type is the Zoom lens, and it comes with a variable focal length. Meaning by adjusting the zoom ring, you can zoom in to subject to make it appear bigger, or zoom out to appear smaller, without moving your body. They are however more expensive.
One thing to make sure when purchasing lenses is if they are compatible with your camera.
- Size- if you care about portability especially if you are a traveler, then you may be considering compact digital cameras.
- Memory Card- cameras usually need a memory card to store shoots in. investing in a good memory card is very important, BUT, you must look for a memory card that is compatible with your camera, as there are several types of them. Although, the up side is that more cameras are now able to work with different kinds of memory cards now.
- Preview Mode- pin-sharp photos are amazing, the reason why making sure to purchase a digital camera that has magnified preview mode is important. This feature helps to zoom in on already-taken photos to check if they are of utmost quality. You will most likely see the button next to a magnifying glass, signifying a zoom-in capability.
- Built-in Microphone- amazing for small videos of say the traffic, waterfalls, animals, etc., and for commenting on videos taken.
- Built-in Image Stabilization- this feature helps to cushion the effect of camera shake while taking shots, so that pictures come out with good image quality.
- ISO Settings- depending on what mode most of your shots will be taken in, a camera with higher ISO settings allows you to take properly exposed photos, but at the expense of overall image quality. This is great for night scene mode. Outdoor and bright light photo shooting will require lower ISO settings. If you find a camera with ISO 50 as its minimum, then go for it.
- Pre-Programmed Scene Modes- by simply pressing buttons, you can automatically configure the settings on your camera to shoot in different scene mode. This is essential especially for beginners. Such scene modes include night photography, sport scenes, fireworks, indoors, portrait, etc.
- Manual controls- this feature gives you the power to tweak your camera for exposure, shutter speed, etc., for your perfect shot.
- Other specifications may include the camera’s ability to record shots in RAW which is larger but opens you up to editing possibilities; of JPEG which is the standard for images. Built-in Wi-Fi should not be overlooked if you want to share your image straight to social media. The GPS feature is nice for geotagging your pictures especially if you are a traveller, but at the expense of your battery life. The weatherproof, dustproof, shockproof and waterproof features come handy especially for travellers and lovers of adventures, kids and people with kids.
Types of Digital Camera
It is important to understand the basic types of digital camera and their distinctive functions so as to enable you decide which best suits your need for a camera.
- Point and Shoot Digital Camera- also called compact camera, it is affordable, easy to use, and of course, compact. Great for beginners this camera can offer features like the zoom lens. If you are keen about better image quality, then look for a compact camera that uses a 1 inch-type sensor.
- Mirrorless Digital Camera- this camera offers the ability of changing lenses. It has larger sensors and offers superior image quality, more creative options, and faster performance.
- DSLR Camera- called Digital Single Lens Reflex in full; this camera gives you the control of changing the settings to get that perfect picture. Its lenses can also be changed to you take the best picture possible. Its optical viewfinder gives it a more superior battery life than the mirrorless camera that uses electronic viewfinder. It is however bigger and heavier, and of course, more expensive. Taking video shots with this camera is also not a brilliant idea because of its optical viewfinder.
- Bridge Digital Camera- this one is similar to a compact camera, but looks like a DSLR. It is great for people who don’t want the complexities of the DLSR, but want more control than a compact can give.
Next is the buying guide, carefully selected based on research, to help you make on-the-spot but well-informed buying decision for a digital camera that suits your budget
The Canon EOS 800D comes with a 24.2MP APS-C CMOS Sensor, DIGIC 7 Image Processor, 3.0″ 1.04m-Dot Vari-Angle Touchscreen, Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 60 fps, 45-point all cross-type phase-detection autofocus, Large 3.0″ 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD, Optical pentamirror viewfinder, Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC and Bluetooth. Packing a versatile feature-set in a sleek and portable body, the EOS 800D DSLR from Canon offers advanced imaging capabilities along with a convenient range of controls and connectivity.
Utilizing a 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 7 image processor, able to capture high-resolution stills and video with an expanded sensitivity range of ISO 100-51200 to suit working in a wide variety of lighting conditions; the sensor and processor combination also avails 6 fps continuous shooting. Benefitting the imaging attributes, the sensor’s design also facilitates Dual Pixel CMOS AF, which uses phase-detection autofocus for quick, accurate, and smooth focusing view.
|Great for outdoor shoot|
The Fujifilm X-T30 comes with an amazing advanced image sensor technology. The 26.1MP BSI APS-C X-Trans CMOS 4 image sensor and X-Processor 4 quad-core CPU combination provide accurate AF and face detection for moving subjects when capturing either high-resolution stills or recording 4K video.
The new X-Processor 4 quad core-CPU offers fast and accurate face-detection for moving people. Additionally, eye-detection AF now works in AF-C mode, which results in accurate focus-tracking for moving portrait subjects. On this camera, the low-light limit for Phase detection AF has been expanded even more from the conventional +0. 5EV to 3EV, to allow for operation in a wide range of lighting scenarios.
The X-T30 offers the ability to record 4K video at 30 frames per second or capture of 120 frames per second at 1080P to create super slow motion effects. Filmmakers needing extreme color fidelity can record 10-bit, 4: 2: 2 Color through the camera’s HDMI port. It also offers 3. 0-Inch touch LCD with 2-way tilting and improved touch screen to capture images efficiently in challenging situations. Provides advanced SR auto mode – easily activated with a lever – to automatically choose the optimum shooting settings for a given scene out of 58 presets. It comes with next-gen wireless connectivity of built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2. the X-T30 is just the real deal.
|Offers un-cropped 4K video||No IBIS|
|The best all- purpose camera under $1000||No flipping screen. It only tilts|
|Convenient to handle and extremely portable||As usual, low battery life|
|Super-fast for AUTOFOCUSING and CONTINUOUS STILL SHOOTING||Poor placement of the ‘Q’ button|
The Canon EOS 5D Mark IV comes with 30.4 MP full frame CMOS sensor for versatile shooting and up to 7.0 frames per second continuous shooting speed. It has a 61 point AF system with 41 cross points for expanded vertical coverage, and ISO range 100 32000 with 50 102400 expansion. The magnification is Approx. 0.71 with 4K video recording at 30p or 24p and in camera still frame grab of 8.8MP images. It has a touch screen LCD monitor.
Wedding and portrait photographers, nature and landscape shooters, as well as creative videographers will appreciate the brilliance and power that the EOS 5D Mark IV delivers.
|Excellent for tracking action||Focus points not far enough out|
|Great low light performance|
The Sony RX100 VII is the real deal when it comes to compact digital cameras. It comes with a 20. 1MP 1. 0 Type stacked CMOS sensor, Zeiss Vario Sonnar T* 24 200 millimeter F2. 8 F4. 5 large aperture high magnification zoom lens all in a body you can still carry in your pocket.. This gives you high levels of perceived image resolution and low noise still images with realistic-looking textures. Its pro-level features for both still shots and movies will meet the demands of professional photographers, creators and vloggers, in an amazing compact body.
Inside its compact body, RX100 VII has everything it takes to deliver stellar images. The 24–200 mm2 zoom lens is complemented by 0.02-sec.3 super-fast AF, new Real-time Tracking and Real-time Eye AF, plus enhanced image stabilization and an external microphone jack for high-quality movie shooting.
|Great zooming ability||Expensive|
|Amazing for night mode shots|
The Sony α6400 mirrorless APS-C interchangeable lens camera, comes with Advanced APS-C camera with 24.2 MP Exmor CMOS sensor, delivering effective circuit process, resulting in efficient light collection that achieves a wide sensitivity range (Expandable ISO 100 – 102400) and excellent low noise performance even at high ISO. The design significantly increases readout speed, enabling functionality including 11fps continuous shooting3, 4K recording2 with full pixel readout without pixel binning and Full HD 120fps high-speed shooting.
It prides itself as the World’s fastest autofocus (AF) acquisition time1 that can lock focus on even the fastest moving subject in as little as 0.02 seconds1. It also boasts an incredible 425 phase detection and 425 contrast detection AF points that are densely positioned over 84% of the image area, effectively tracking subjects as they move across the frame. It offers up to 11fps continuous shooting3 with continuous autofocus and auto-exposure, 4K HDR video2, 180-degree tiltable touchscreen LCD and Wi-Fi for easy file transfer and remote control.
The advanced “Real-time Eye AF” employs artificial intelligence to detect and process eye data in real time, resulting in improved accuracy, speed and tracking performance of Eye AF. With a half press of the shutter button, the camera can automatically detect the eyes of the subject and activate Eye AF in all autofocus modes and when in either AF-C or AF-A mode, eye capture is continuously maintained. Additionally, the preferred eye (left or right) of your subject can be selected as the focus point.
|Great travel camera due to its compact nature||No IBIS|
|180 degrees tiltable screen||Image quality may be compromised with indoor artificial light- e.g. the fluorescent light|
6. Fujfilm X-T4
Free yourself from compromise and be the image maker you’ve always wanted to be with Fujifilm X-T4’s fourth-generation X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor, X-Processor 4, a newly developed, compact in-body image stabilization (IBIS) system, the new ETERNA Bleach Bypass Film Simulation mode, and much more, it’s time to extend your creative limits with this incredible imaging tool. A huge part of creating great photos or videos is making sure you are in the right place at the right time – and that often means making handheld images to get to the heart of the action. X-T4’s state-of-the-art, five-axis In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) provides up to 6.5 stops of image stabilization to make sure that, even in the midst of all the excitement, your images remain steady and sharp. Combine this with the new four-axis Digital Image Stabilizer, and you have lots of room to maneuver.
The 1.62 million pixel vari-angle touchscreen LCD featured on X-T4 can be adjusted to make it visible from a wide range of positions. This not only gives you a high-quality monitor to frame with, but also provides quick and simple controls when you need them most.
|Great for both still shots and video shoots||Tends to overheat and shutdown when running in 4K60 for some time|
|Good quality in low light and street photography|
The Panasonic Lumix GH5 is an amazing mirrorless digital camera offering 20.3 Megapixel micro four thirds sensor with no low pass filter to capture sharp images with a high dynamic range and artifact free performance for professional photo and video.
It records silky smooth 4K 60P/50P (QFHD 4K: 3840 x 2160/ MOV or MP4) video with internal 4: 2: 2 10 bit 4K video recording, plus exclusive 6K photo and 4K post focus records photos up to 60Fps. It is also splash/freeze proof with its durable magnesium alloy body, great at withstanding heavy use in the field.
|Offers dual card slots||Not great in low light|
|Great stabilization feature||Expensive|
|Great for wedding shots||You have to purchase log profile separately|
|Fully articulating touch screen|
The Olympus Tough TG-6 is a great compact digital camera that is known for ruggedness. It is Waterproof (50 feet /15 meter), dust proof, shockproof (7 feet / 2.1 meter), crush proof (100kgf), freeze proof (14 degree Fahrenheit / -10 degree Celsius), and anti-fog.
You live for the outdoors with this camera from hiking, to desert adventures, to skiing, name it; it will endure all the extreme environments with a smile. You can drop it, step on it, go underwater with it, and still shoot awesome still photo and videos.
On top of its rugged frame, this camera is packed with pro features; you’ll nail difficult shots — even in low light. Shoot intricately detailed macro photos and unique shots underwater with vivid color. The lightweight, compact tough TG-6 is engineered to survive the world’s toughest places.
|Extremely pocket friendly||Below average video stabilization|
|Great camera for kids|
9. Nikon D5600
This digital camera amazingly gives you 55mm Wide Angle And Telephoto Auxiliary lenses , 55mm 3pc Filter Kit (UV , CPL , FLD) , 55mm Tulip Threaded Lens Hood , Camera wrist Grip , Deluxe Camera Gadget Bag , 50 inch Professional Tripod , Digital Slave Flash , Lens Pen , Lens Blower + Nikon Original Battery, Charger , Eye Cup , Neck Strap , Lens & Body Caps + 1 Year Seller Supplied Warranty; all below $1,000.
It comes with 24.2MP DX-Format CMOS Sensor ,EXPEED 4 Image Processor , 3.2″ 1.037m-Dot Vari-Angle Touchscreen ,Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 60 fps ,Multi-CAM 4800DX 39-Point AF Sensor ,ISO 100-25600 and 5 fps Shooting ,SnapBridge Bluetooth and Wi-Fi with NFC ,Time-Lapse Movie Recording
|Great camera with accessories all under $1,000||Comes with cheap accessories|
|Nice for beginners|
The Canon EOS Rebel T7 DLSR camera comes in a bundle kit containing: Canon EOS Rebel T7 Digital Camera, Canon EF-S 18-55mm Lens, Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens, Canon LP-E10 Battery, Canon LP-E10 Charger, Extra ZeeTech Charger, Extra ZeeTech Battery, Body Cap for Canon EOS Cameras, Canon Wide Neck Strap, 2.2x Auxiliary Telephoto Lens, 0.43x Auxiliary Wideangle Lens, 3 Pieces Filter Kit, 50″ Camera Tripod, 2 Pieces SanDisk 32 GB High Speed SDHC Class 10 Memory Cards, Deluxe Padded Camera Case, Ultra-Bright Slave Flash Light, 4 Pieces Macro Close Up Kit, Tulip Lens Hood, Wired Shutter Release Remote, Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Memory Card Reader, ZeeTech MicroFiber Cleaning Cloth and ZeeTech Starter Kit.
This camera is ideal for mobile device users wanting to take the next step with their photography, the EOS Rebel T7 camera combines fantastic features with easy-to-use operation for high-quality images you’ll be proud to share. You can harness the power of the EOS Rebel T7’s large 24.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor to realize your potential for great shots.
Also, With the EOS Rebel T7’s fast autofocus system, you can capture every moment as it happens, viewing each shot through the bright optical viewfinder. A range of additional features, including a large LCD screen, Full HD video recording and an on-board feature guide help you capture eye-catching photos and video. In addition, you can share the memories with your friends and family quickly and easily via built-in Wi-Fi* and NFC** technology.
|It is versatile, but still easy to use|
|Compatible with its accessories for less than $1,000|